Saturday, January 16, 2010
Flight For Life
When the trauma pager I carry goes off, I anticipate the worst. The basic details are given about the person arriving, vitals, status, cause of injury and all details so the trauma team can prepare. If I hear "air lifted from the scene" it makes me worry. We quickly prepare, making sure all registration tools are available for what we are about to face. Once the patient arrives, the flight nurse gives out a verbal report of the event, condition, medications given, etc. As that is happening, we begin trying to identify the person. We dig for any form of ID, name, wallet, etc. It really is a fast-paced environment, full of uncertainty. As the trauma team performs their life saving duties, we complete the registration process as quickly as possible. The sound, smell and anticipation of a chopper arrival is something you don't get to experience on a daily basis in life, if ever at all. I admire the crew, staff and all involved who make the flight for life arrivals for the most part, successful. In the event it turns or is not successful, the attempt is outstanding and deserves all the same credit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment