Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pride

This weekend is "Gay Pride" in Denver. I have a difficult time with this event year after year despite my own lifestyle. I decided to look up the definition of the word "pride" and here is what I found: "A high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct..." This would leave me to believe people celebrate "Pride Weekend" because they have a high opinion of their own dignity and importance? They must feel really strong about this as it really is an expensive and booze filled event. I wish everyone felt this way daily, showing their "importance" and "dignity" through acts of kindness, hard work and in doing so, not compromising who they are. I personally don't need a weekend set aside each year to show my merit in life, call me what you want no matter how strange this sounds, especially coming from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment